“Do you want some biscuits and gravy?”
You might have been wondering when we were going to talk about one of our favorite breakfast dishes. Imagine a spicy sausage, fried in butter with a peppery white sauce, served over a stack of fluffy buttermilk biscuits. If that description alone doesn’t send your salivary glands into overdrive then you and I have drastically different taste buds.
Biscuits and gravy, a very simple meal to make if you follow the steps below. But don’t think it’s going to be an easy task making my biscuits and gravy. It takes some time but is well worth the effort when your family tells you they love how creamy the sauce is and how the sausage gives it just the right amount of spice. 😉
What You’ll Need:
-1 pound breakfast sausage
-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-3 cups milk
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-6 tablespoons butter, divided
-2 cups self-rising flour
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1 tablespoon sugar
-1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain well. Add flour and stir until well blended.
3. Gradually stir in milk and cook until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons butter until butter is melted.
4. In a large bowl, combine self-rising flour, baking soda, sugar, and buttermilk. Stir just until moistened.
5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead gently 10 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter.
6. Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve gravy over warm biscuits.